This makes me SICK!
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcnn.com%2Fvideo%2Fdata%2F2.0%2Fvideo%2Fbestoftv%2F2011%2F03%2F11%2Fexp.HLNPeanutAllergy.cnn.html&h=2c1de
How can people be so selfish and self-centered as to put another human being, especially a child, at risk; often risk of death!
Instead of using this opportunity to teach their children compassion, understanding and just plain kindness they waste the opportunity to teach their kids to be self absorbed and self important.
We recently flew to Long Island to celebrate the birthdays of Drew and Ronnie (we dont celebrate Patrick's bday!). Southwest Airlines is VERY accomodating and they do not serve peanuts when you advise them of a peanut allergic passenger. In fact, Southwest considers a peanut allergy to be a disability and treats the passenger with respect.
Here's the problem.....our flight was delayed....hmmmm....dinner time is quickly approaching and since it was to be a total of about 2 hrs in the air we only brought snacks (peanut and milk free snacks!)...But seriously, you cant expect a child to have animal crackers and skittles for dinner, or maybe you can...I dont know!?
I went from restaurant to restaurant at MacArthur Islip Airport looking for food. They dont have a McDonald's in the Southwest wing (Chicken Selects and French fries are permissible)...
These are some of the most absolutely ignorant answers I recd:
- we cant guarantee peanuts havent been used in the pasta sauce
- we dont have any fresh fruit
- we have fresh fruit but it is in yogurt (MILK!)
- when I asked if they had any Soy Milk the answer was "Yes, we carry 2%".....I said, "Soy Milk?" "Well, no" she answered, "but it IS 2%",,,aaaugh
- we stop selling bagels at noon
- we use vegetable oil for cooking but I dont know if it is peanut oil or not
- I dont know what ingredients are in the bread/muffins (if it is required on all foods you purchase in a grocery store, why not in restaurants!)
A women standing on line at a Starbucks told me she has a severe shellfish allergy and also carries Epi-pens. She gave me a banana for Alex....I Blessed her!
I then went into the ladies room and cried!....Seems like not a big deal? Well, it is....when you cant get food for your child it IS a big deal. And the INDIFFERENCE was perfect and shocking!
Another example of this cold hearted behavior:
Alex is at his Karate Class when another mother notices a child eating a granola bar full of peanuts! This mother asks if those are peanuts; the 2nd mother replies, "Yes, they are",,,the first mother went crazy, grabbing her child by the hand, scrubbing her up, washing down the chairs and toys and tells the 2nd mother that her child has a severe and possible deadly peanut allergy. The mother of the kid with the peanut bar rolls her eyes and allows her child to continue eating the bar. WHAT~!>!>!
For some reason allergies, particularly peanut allergies, are on the rise.....you wouldnt feed rat poison to a child and yet some of there allergies are just a deadly!
WHAT can I do to educate the public? WHAT can be done to make people care?
Here's what Im doing --- praying for a healing for Alex --- praying for the indifferent, cold, self centered people who put my precious Grandson at risk!....Any other suggestions would be welcome!
My heart was broken watching him eat Animal Crackers for dinner (he didnt care! He has his Nintendo DS, and Grandma's iPod with Angry Birds....
"Dont worry Grandma, Ill get some dinner when we get to your house in Virginia Beach!".....My Angel....
No comments:
Post a Comment